So I get that 見つける takes an object and 見つかる doesn't, but can anyone tell me if there are any major differences between 答えを見つけた and 答えが見つかった

If I came across an answer by chance, does the second sentence do a better job at expressing that?

And also: 答えが見つけられた

What is different between sentence 2 and 3? (And aren't they both passive?)

Thank you :D And sorry if duplicate or dumb question

I think you seem to notice that 見つける is a transitive verb and 見つかる is an intransitive verb.

A subject is omitted in 答えを見つけた, for example、彼が答えを見つけた(He found the answer.). On the other hand, 答え is a subject in 答えが見つかった.

答えが見つけられた(The answer was found) is passive form of 答えを見つけた and it has a nuance like "by someone", but we don't use it often. Both 答えが見つけられた and 答えが見つかった seem to be translated as "The answer was found".

• Ok, thank you! Could you/someone explain if there are any nuances between 彼が答えを見つけた and 彼は答えが見つかった? (And is the second sentence even natural?) – requiredandshown Jun 19 '17 at 15:16
  • Both sentences are used. I feel 彼は答えが見つかった is a bit objective and stiff. – Yuuichi Tam Jun 19 '17 at 15:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.