Sometimes I get to talk with Japanese users on social media sites and one thing that I say to them quite a lot is:

"Please forgive my Japanese, I'm still learning" or "it's not very good".

I just want to know if I am expressing myself well enough if I say:

私の日本語をゆるしてください。まだ勉強していますから。

Does it sound ok? I would really like to know better expressions. For example, at some point I asked this:

"Could you understand what I wrote about? My Japanese is not that good, thus it might sound weird."

In Japanese I translated like this:

書いたのが理解できますか。私の日本語はまだ上手ではないからちょっと変かもしれないけど。

I don't know if 書いたの is a good choice... What do you think? Could you give some examples that sound nicer?

• As a learner, I'd personally prefer すみません (excuse me) instead of 許してください (forgive me) because it seems too formal in your case (social media):「すみません、日本語がちょっと苦手です。まだ勉強していますから」 (Excuse me, my Japanese is a bit weak because I'm still learning it.) – Andrew T. Jun 17 '17 at 12:28
  • "Please forgive my Japanese, I'm still learning" or "it's not very good".
  • 私の日本語をゆるしてください。まだ勉強していますから。

To improve your translation in Japanese, I'll tell you the important points as follows:

• Even if your Japanese is poor, it's not your Japanese but you that needs to ask for someone's forgiveness, so 「日本語が下手{へた}な私を許{ゆる}してください」 is better than 「私の下手{へた}な日本語を許{ゆる}してください」.
  • Usually we Japanese say the cause or the reason at first before saying the conclusion, so 「日本語を勉強中ですから / 日本語が下手{へた}ですから、私を許{ゆる}してください。」 is better than saying 「私を許{ゆる}してください、日本語を勉強中ですから / 日本語が下手{へた}ですから。」.

My attempts are:

いま日本語を勉強中ですので、少し下手{へた}ですがお許{ゆる}しください。or
いま日本語を勉強中ですので、少し下手{へた}ですが許{ゆる}してください。
Literally, the Japanese will be like: どうぞ私の(下手{へた}な)日本語を許{ゆる}してください。まだ勉強中です。

• "Could you understand what I wrote about? My Japanese is not that good, thus it might sound weird."
  • 書いたのが理解できますか。私の日本語はまだ上手ではないからちょっと変かもしれないけど。
  • I don't know if 書いたの is a good choice... What do you think?

A. Ellette said 書いたもの is better than 書いたの, but I could understand your attempt in Japanese very clearly. Very good!

As I said above, it's better to say the reason or cause at first like:
私の日本語はまだ上手ではないからちょっと変かもしれないけど、書いたものが理解できますか。

My attempt is:
日本語はまだまだですのでちょっと変かもしれませんが、書いたもの理解できますか。

• Thank you so much! These explanations and examplesare wonderful and I will take them into account next time I'm gonna talk with Japanese users. All of them sound very well and and I knew my versions lacked something. Oh yes and I did not know what to use between 書いたもの and 書いたこと either. What difference in nuance would be? Thank you so much for the help! – Alice B. Rabbit Jun 17 '17 at 9:26
  • @AliceB.Rabbit: もの and こと is similar. But as for the difference in nuance, もの is a thing and こと is an event. First there is a hint in the difference between them. Secondly, you have to be careful about the noun that you are going to make a topic in your conversation. In your case, 「書{か}き物{もの} something that is written 」 is a topic in your conversation. The compound word 「書{か}き物{もの} 」 has もの in it. So it is natural to say 書いたもの more than 書いたこと. – mackygoo Jun 17 '17 at 10:34

The 1st one sounds pretty good to me. The only thing I feel a bit weird is 「私の日本語」. It would sound better if you have some adjective to explain your Japanese. Also, 勉強中 is usually used for "I'm learning". So, my answer would be;

私の[拙]{つたな}い日本語をお許し下さい。まだ[勉強中]{べんきょうちゅう}なものですから。

But, I personally feel, if you say this, I don't believe it because it is too good :)

For the 2nd one, "書いたの" sounds a bit casual to me, so if you are talking to your friend, it is good. If you are talking to someone who you don't know well, I would say "私の書いたことが理解できますか". The 2nd part looks perfect.

Hope it helps.

It seems to me that 書いたこと is a bit too abstract; perhaps, 書いたもの would be better. But, I'm not sure. – A.Ellett Jun 17 '17 at 4:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.