If someone asks me, "どこに行くの?", and I have a certain place in mind, but I don't want to say the whole thing, "図書館に行く", can I just say the location instead, omitting the verb?

図書館だ would be good enough? Or somehow the に particle must stick in?

Can someone Clarify..?

• you can certainly say 図書館に. but grammatically i think 図書館だ sounds awkward. but i'm not a native speaker so i'll leave this merely as a comment. – A.Ellett Jun 16 '17 at 20:03
  • 図書館だ /です are fine. – user4092 Jun 17 '17 at 1:25
    「どこに行くんですか?」「図書館です。」とか「どこ行くの?」「図書館だよ。/ 図書館よ。」とか言いますよね。 – Chocolate Jun 17 '17 at 3:38
  • Is Chocolate saying that they're natural? – Dekiru Jun 17 '17 at 10:34

図書館だ isn't natural. You can say 図書館に and 図書館へ but I think just saying 図書館 is more natural.

When someone asks you, "どこに行くんですか?", 図書館です is natural. If you are asked in polite form, you should reply in polite form.

図書館だよ and 図書館よ are also used but 図書館よ would be usually used by females.

Like A.Ellett said in the comments, you can just say 図書館 but 図書館に sounds more natural to me. It's like the difference between saying "The library" and "To the library". 図書館だ does sound awkward.

The other answers address the main issue. But I would like to point out what makes 図書館だ sound unnatural or odd.

The question being asked is どこに行くの, which means "Where are you going?" To answer 図書館だ would be like responding to that question in English, "It's the library." Any native speaker of English would understand what you meant, but might possibly think you weren't a native speaker of English. Likewise in Japanese.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.