The English idiom "anything under the sun" means, anything at all. For example:

We sat and talked about anything under the sun.

Is there a Japanese phrase with the same nuance as that? The sentence:

私たちは座って色々な事について話しました。

doesn't seem to "catch" the nuance.

According to my E-J dictionaries...

under the sun ⦅略式⦆(1) この世で[の]、天が下に[の]. (2) [everything under the sun] ありとあらゆること. (3) [nothing under the sun] 全く何も…ない. [4]⦅まれ⦆[通例 What...? 構文で] いったいぜんたい.
(Taishukan's Genius English-Japanese Dictionary)

under the sun ① この世の[で] There is nothing new under the sun. 日の下に新しきものなし[←Bible Eccl 1:9] ② すべての、いろいろな I tried everything under the sun. ありとあらゆることをすべて試した
(Obunsha's Lexis English-Japanese Dictionary)

"Anything under the sun" in your sentence is used in the sense of #2 in both dictionaries, so I think it can be translated:

私たちは座って、ありとあらゆることについて話しました。
私たちは座って、ありとあらゆるすべてのことについて話しました。

I like ありとあらゆることについて. My wife (who is Japanese) says both of your proposed translations sound fine to her. – Philippe Jun 10 '17 at 9:27

森羅{しんら}万象{ばんしょう}

森羅{しんら}万象{ばんしょう} means all things in nature.

Japanese: 森羅万象とは天地間に存在するありとあらゆる事象のこと。
English: 森羅万象 literally means every phenomenon or thing existing between the sky (/the heavens) and the ground (/the earth).

I'm sorry to say that 森羅万象 is solemn, but is not so friendly.

Similar to 森羅万象, there is another expression 天地{てんち}万物{ばんぶつ} that means the whole creation or everything in heaven and earth.

天地万物 consists of heaven, earth and 万物 everything ( ten thousands / a lot of and thing).

天地万物 is not so solemn as 森羅万象, but is also not so friendly.

There are some adverbs similar to the expression anything "under the sun":
- 満{まん}天下{てんか}に: under the sky
- お天道{てんとう}様{さま}の下{もと/した}で: with the sun / under the sun

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.