So I was talking to a friend when he told me, as the title says, that:

だからよ is "girly talk" but だからね is correct

for instance:

昨日は楽しい、お酒を飲んだからね (according to him, totally ok and natural)

昨日は楽しい、お酒を飲んだからよ (according to him, girly talk) it should in fact be:

昨日は楽しい、お酒を飲んだから

It's weird for me because, in everything else I studied so far, both this particles seem to respect the same grammar rules (though I know this is not really a grammar point but a "pattern" in the spoke language)

Is it correct? Is this the only case where these partciles behave differently

• Generally, omitting だ is considered feminine in these kinds of situations, so that's why. – Kurausukun Jun 9 '17 at 17:10
  • I undestand that, but why is だからね not feminine then? – Felipe Oliveira Jun 9 '17 at 17:12
    It's a question of tone and context. Using ね while explaining something is pretty neutral. But using ね and よ when requesting something or in otherwise casual speech is considered feminine. Same can be said of よね, unless preceded by だ or です. Actually concluding the sentence with だ or です is affirmative and is considered masculine. In short, the gist is that male speech is centered on facts, and female speech is centered on emotions. At least, that's my understanding. I might be wrong...! – psosuna Jun 9 '17 at 17:33
  • If you could make this into an answe, we could see what other people think about it ^-^ – Felipe Oliveira Jun 9 '17 at 17:47
    psosuna wrote: "In short, the gist is that male speech is centered on facts, and female speech is centered on emotions." ← I really hope we can get away from naive ideas like this. – snailboat Jun 10 '17 at 2:03

…からよ can be interpreted as two usages.

One is a sentence ender with だ omitted, in other words, it's interchangeable to …からだよ, albeit it's slang among women in a certain generation or 役割語 for female characters. (静かね is parallel to this.)

The other one is filler usage, this time, it's not interchangeable to …からだよ but just added to the sub clause …から, which is slang too, and also a 役割語 for the delinquent.

And the point is, the filler usage with ね is accepted in Standard Japanese. That's why he said it's correct.

Difference between main clause and sub clause

• main clause: それは酒を飲んだからだ (It is because I drank alcohol)
  • sub clause: 楽しかった。酒を飲んだから。(I was happy because I drank alcohol)

In the former sentence, 飲んだからだ is the predicate of the sentence or the main clause. And particles like な, ね or よ that follow it are a sentence ending particle, in other words, ones as in それは酒を飲んだからだよ or それは酒を飲んだからよ.

In the latter, 飲んだから is a sub clause, and particles that appear after it are a filler.

• hmmm in a more standard japanese I could assume that からね is ok for both genders and so just から as well right? but ending with よ is not natural for standard japanese at all? Should I maybe refrain from using からだよ to end a sentence? – Felipe Oliveira Jun 10 '17 at 2:39
  • So called feminine language is supposed to be slang (or dialectal?) but somehow overlooked. Unlike that, からだよ is just standard. You still seem to mix two different things. Again, one is a main clause or a sentence while the other is just a sub clause. – user4092 Jun 11 '17 at 0:28
  • do you mean that when I lack the だ I am doing a subclause? Sorry, this is very cloudy for me still – Felipe Oliveira Jun 11 '17 at 3:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.