The title explains it all. I think that one would say (mind you I'm just starting out, so I will write everything in hiragana) わたしはとりがながめるのすきです。Would that be correct? Or am I totally wrong, and if so, how do you actually say it?

私は鳥を見るのが好きです (watashi wa tori wo miru no ga suki desu) - I like to watch birds/watching birds

You had a couple things wrong in your sentence, for instance, after 鳥(bird) you need the particle because this particle is the one required when an action is happening towards something.

The action of seeing is happening towards the bird, if you use it feels like the birds that are doing the "watching" and not yourself.

also it lacked the particle before 好き(suki), this particle marks the subject of watching, since it marks a verb, you correctly nominalized it with .

見るのが好きです(miru no ga suki desu) - I like to watch.

Often in common speech we often have no need to say 私は if it is implicit by the context, that is you who likes to watch birds.

So the sentence could be like that:

鳥を見るのが好きです (tori wo miru no ga suki desu) - I like to watch birds.

or in a more casual way:

鳥を見るの好きです (tori wo miru no suki desu) - I like to watch birds. (dropping ga particle in casual speech often happens as well)

• I will leave my answer as it is, if the main reason for you making this question was understanding some grammar points. If you were looking for the right "technical" terms, @A.Ellett answer is the way to go, I think – Felipe Oliveira Jun 8 '17 at 17:11
    鳥を見る好き doesn't make sense. It should be 鳥を見るの好き. – user4092 Jun 9 '17 at 3:06
  • @user4092 will correct it! – Felipe Oliveira Jun 9 '17 at 12:30

ながめる has more of a sense of "gaze at" than "watch". You might want to use 観察{かんさつ}. I think the rather technical term for bird watching is [野鳥]{やちょう}[観察]{かんさつ}. So you could write 野鳥観察が[好]{す}きです.

「バードウォッチングが好きです」でもいいかも? – Chocolate Jun 9 '17 at 0:36

I believe [野鳥]{やちょう}[観察]{かんさつ}, as mentioned above, is correct and used in proper writing. But I feel it is used less and less. I think バード・ウォッチング ("bird watching"), pulled from the English, would be widely understood to mean the hobby of bird watching.

Two spellings are common, バードウォッチング and バードウオッチング, but I believe the first one, with the small オ, is more popular.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.