I know 大振り is usually used in baseball to refer to a big swing of the bat, but what is its meaning in boxing? I found it in the following sentence from a manga in which a boxer is being encouraged by its trainer:

お前のパンチは当たれば倒せるパンチなんだ!ただし勢いにのまれての大振りは御法度だ!コンビネーションから繋いでいけ。

I think it refers to a fast and strong punch, but why is it considered a negative thing in this case? I would be grateful if you also could correct my translation and explain the general meaning of the sentence. My attempt:

Your punches can knock him down if you manage to hit him! But don't overdo it and avoid fast punches! Start from the combinations!

1 Answer 1

大振り is not fast. It refers to a strong/heavy but slow punch, which tends to give the opponent a chance to dodge or counter-attack. Unlike jabs, 大振り cannot be chained to a next movement, either. I think 大振り usually has a negative connotation like this one. 勢いに飲まれる is an idiom meaning "to be overwhelmed", "to lose one's cool in the heat".

• thank you for your answer! Could you also explain that 繋ぐ at the end? Does it refer to doing one combination after another?
    – Marco
    Commented Jun 8, 2017 at 10:11
    @Marco It's just "to chain" as in "chain a combo."
    – naruto
    Commented Jun 8, 2017 at 16:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .