I know 大振り is usually used in baseball to refer to a big swing of the bat, but what is its meaning in boxing? I found it in the following sentence from a manga in which a boxer is being encouraged by its trainer:

お前のパンチは当たれば倒せるパンチなんだ!ただし勢いにのまれての大振りは御法度だ!コンビネーションから繋いでいけ。

I think it refers to a fast and strong punch, but why is it considered a negative thing in this case? I would be grateful if you also could correct my translation and explain the general meaning of the sentence. My attempt:

Your punches can knock him down if you manage to hit him! But don't overdo it and avoid fast punches! Start from the combinations!

大振り is not fast. It refers to a strong/heavy but slow punch, which tends to give the opponent a chance to dodge or counter-attack. Unlike jabs, 大振り cannot be chained to a next movement, either. I think 大振り usually has a negative connotation like this one. 勢いに飲まれる is an idiom meaning "to be overwhelmed", "to lose one's cool in the heat".

• thank you for your answer! Could you also explain that 繋ぐ at the end? Does it refer to doing one combination after another? – Marco Jun 8 '17 at 10:11
    @Marco It's just "to chain" as in "chain a combo." – naruto Jun 8 '17 at 16:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.