I am currently learning Japanese, I am still a beginner and right now I am trying to say something like "I want to learn driving a car" or "I want to learn how to drive a car". I was trying to use 車を運転する combined with 習いたい but I don't know how to connect these two words so it makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

• *i meant "words" not "sentences " – Jessica Jun 7 '17 at 18:31
    You can always edit your post to improve it or make corrections. It's not set in stone. – Em. Jun 7 '17 at 18:37
    The most generic expression is 車の運転を覚えたい (verb: おぼえる). 習う means to learn something from a teacher. 学ぶ is closer to "to study" or "to learn a lesson". – user4092 Jun 7 '17 at 21:10
    ^ I think you have 習うand 学ぶ mixed up はぁ・・user4092さんは日本語母語話者なんですけどね・・ 習う means to learn something from a teacher. 学ぶ is closer to "to study" or "to learn a lesson" 私もそう思いますけど・・ – Chocolate Jun 7 '17 at 22:55
    mi‌​sleadingでしょうか さあ、どうでしょう・・きっと「学」の漢字は、もともとそういう意味なんでしょうね・・学‌​ぶと習うのニュアンスが分かりません それなら、これなんか超おススメです! → japanese.stackexchange.com/a/18658/9831 – Chocolate Jun 8 '17 at 0:32

There are a number of ways to do this.

1. 車の運転を習いたい. A suru-verb like 運転 can work as a noun if you dropped the する part. 運転 means driving all by itself. Literally, "I want to learn driving of a car."
  2. 車を運転する方法を習いたい. 方法 is a noun meaning "method/way", and 車を運転する is used as a (gapless) relative clause that modifies 方法. Literally, "I want to learn the way of driving a car."
  3. どうやって車を運転するか習いたい. Here どうやって is "how", and どうやって車を運転するか is an embedded question meaning "how I (can) drive a car". Literally, "I want to learn how I (can) drive a car."

The first one is the simplest and most natural way if you just want to say you want a driver's license. The other two are wordy and usually unnecessary (but they can help you to learn the Japanese grammar).

• is there a reason you said を習いたい as opposed to が習いたい? – A.Ellett Jun 7 '17 at 23:06
  • @A.Ellett Good question, according to this PDF, を~たい and が~たい are sometimes interchangeable, while younger people tend to prefer the former. But somehow I strongly feel 車の運転が習いたい is ungrammatical. ケーキが食べたい and テレビが見たい are okay, of course. Hmm...I don't know why. – naruto Jun 7 '17 at 23:21
  • now i'm hungry. – A.Ellett Jun 7 '17 at 23:22

I think you can express that like this:

車を運転することが出来るようになりたい: "I want to be able to drive a car"

or you could say something like this:

車を運転することを学びたい: "I want to learn how to drive a car"

For making these expressions you need to learn how to make a verb or a sentence into a noun with こと or の. More information in Minna No Nihongo Shokyuu II Lesson 38 or the youtube video "Japanese verbs into nouns - Japanese in 5! #25" from the Japanese from zero channel

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.