I tried to look for this answer but could not find it so...

Why is that 嫌い looks so much like an i-adjective? I might be wrong, but most i-adjectives seem follow this path:

Kanji + い or Kanji + しい

But still 嫌い is an na-adjective, following sentences like 嫌いじゃない instead of something like 嫌くない.

Is there a reason for that? Are there any other adjectives that function in a similar way to this one?

綺麗{きれい}is the same way. Could it be because ~い adjectives end with the い sound twice(楽しい、大きい)and ~な adjectives pick up the slack when there aren't two い sounds at the end of the adjective? – ajsmart Jun 7 '17 at 13:21
    for me 綺麗 looks like a na-adjective since it is just kanji, and also some i-adjectives ain't got double i sound, like 苦い(nigai) – Felipe Oliveira Jun 7 '17 at 13:24
    Yeah, you have a good point. Saying it's a descriptive noun doesn't do it for me either, so... – ajsmart Jun 7 '17 at 13:38
    It's just a coincidence caused by the fact that 嫌う is a v5u (ワ行五段活用) verb and 好く is a v5k (カ行五段活用) verb. – naruto Jun 7 '17 at 22:02
  • @naruto I see, it is interesting though, i used to use kirai in hiragana only so i had never realized that before – Felipe Oliveira Jun 8 '17 at 2:51

きらい is the conjunctive form of きらう, whose conjugation goes きらわ(ず), きらい, きらう(し), きらう(こと), きらえ(ば), きらえ, きらおう (i.e. godan verb), and used as a noun here (practically, not substantial one but a stem of a na-adjective), which makes it fit with the grammar for na-adjectives.

• is there any difference from the kanji form and the hiragana one or not? – Felipe Oliveira Jun 7 '17 at 17:53
    No, there is no difference. – user4092 Jun 7 '17 at 21:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.