I couldn't get the expression below.

彼女は英語を話すのが得意で、兄に勝るとも劣らぬくらいだ

• what have you done to understand this sentence? Give us a little more context, and we will be able to better cater an answer for your needs. – ajsmart Jun 6 '17 at 23:37
  • 勝るとも劣らない is a fixed expression. What does your dictionary say? ejje.weblio.jp/content/… – Chocolate Jun 7 '17 at 0:05
  • Aren't there typos in" 勝るとも劣らぬくらいだ"? – Tommy Jun 7 '17 at 0:19
    @Tommy タイポですか?どこも間違ってないと思いますけど。 – Chocolate Jun 7 '17 at 0:24
  • @Chocolate Sorry! I didn't read well! lol It's actually 劣らぬ - くらい - だ. My bad! :) – Tommy Jun 7 '17 at 0:35

(~に)勝るとも劣らない is a fixed expression meaning "be in no way inferior to; not at all inferior to; rival or surpass; compare favorably (with)" (Source)

まさる【勝る(優る)】...
「勝るとも劣らない(=同等以上だ)」
(明鏡国語辞典)

勝(まさ)るとも劣(おと)ら◦ない
それ以上ではあっても劣っていることはない。互角またはそれ以上である。 (デジタル大辞泉

As you know, 劣らぬ is a literary way of saying 劣らない. (The ぬ originally is the attributive form of the archaic negative auxiliary ず)

What does とも mean here?

The ~とも* is a conjunctive particle (接続助詞) meaning 「(たとえ)~ても」"(even) if~~". (勝るとも劣らない = 勝ることはあっても劣ることはない)
*とも sounds relatively archaic, and attaches to the terminal form/終止形 of verbs in 文語, the imperfective form/未然形 of verbs + the auxiliary う・よう in 口語, and the continuative form/連用形 of i-adjectives (Source: 明鏡国語辞典).

Example from Shogakukan's Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary:

これは耐久性ではあちらのに勝るとも劣りません
This is no less durable than that.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.