Can particles like を、で、に、and へ be used like nouns?

Can you do something like:

[ 学校 + に ] + の + 学生 + です。= 学校にの学生です。

[ School + at ] + *'s + student + is. = To-be at-school's student.

Is this kind of structure allowed? Even if my example doesn't make sense, can you do things like this? And if so, can you give me some examples of it being used properly?

What is 学校にの学生 supposed to mean? – naruto Jun 4 '17 at 17:50
  • What I'm asking is whether or not "学校に" can be used like a NP, allowing for particles like の like it does は. – Tirous Jun 4 '17 at 18:00
    @naruto If it were good grammar I'd interpret 学校にの学生 to be 学校にいる学生. I know you can write things like 田中さんへの手紙. So 田中さんへ , as a whole, kind of acts like a noun. So, insights into when/why you can do this would interest me. Of course, if this isn't what he meant then please just ignore my ramblings. – user3856370 Jun 4 '17 at 18:07
    Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/2167/1478 – snailboat Jun 4 '17 at 18:36
  • @user3856370 We should first learn that に is not "in" unless it's combined with specific verbs. – user4092 Jun 5 '17 at 15:30

Basically you cannot treat 学校で like a noun. It's an adverbial modifier. But you can turn them into adjective-like phrases by saying での, への, との, からの, までの, and so on. をの does not exist. にの is very rare and you should use への instead.

BTW, 学校にの学生です makes no sense to me.

• I can't believe that にの is very rare instead of being impossible. – user4092 Jun 5 '17 at 15:32

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.