This question already has an answer here:

友人主婦がディズニーランドに行った際、五歳になる長男がトイレに入ったきり姿を消した。スタッフに迷子になった場所を伝えると顔色が変わり「誘拐の可能性がある」すぐにすべての出口でチェックが行なわれた。

I'm translating a news article for my thesis. It's about a wellknown urban legend, the Attempted Abduction. I don't quite understand the use of と in the second sentence... Is it used to make a list of actions? But that would be an unusual use of the particle... Or is it used for reporting speech? But again, there is no verb like say or tell or something... Please help me :)

marked as duplicate by broccoli forest, macraf, Chocolate, user3856370, Dono Jun 4 '17 at 9:28

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• I'm assuming you mean the と I made bold. Verbs like 言う, 思う etc are often omitted when the meaning is clear. There are several questions about this on this site. – user3856370 Jun 3 '17 at 17:58
  • ^ although after looking for 5 minutes I've failed miserably to find them. – user3856370 Jun 3 '17 at 18:04

there are two と in that sentence. the first means "when" and the second it quotative.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.