Actually, I want I'm figuring out a specific sentence, which is 「暇なので相手して。」And I thought that it means "I am bored because of my companion."

• 暇 [hima] - "leisure" / "fun"

• な [na] - Negative imperative. Meaning "himana" means "not fun"

• ので [node] - "because"

• 相手 [aite] - "companion" or someone with me

• して [shite] - "I am doing" or current state

But according to http://www.japanesefile.com/Adjectives/hima_na_1.html "hima na" means "to have free time"

• 「暇なので相手して。」 means "Play with me because I have nothing to do." But I am still figuring why for future use. – varcharTV Jun 3 '17 at 15:54
  • ので acts on the clause before, not the clause after, so it's "because I have free time ..." . That な is not the negative imperative. Maybe this link helps: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/19591/… – user3856370 Jun 3 '17 at 16:35
  • ok, I already know that "nanode" is used as "because" / "since" thanks for the link. But is there any reason why「な」 is not the negative imperative in my sentence? – varcharTV Jun 3 '17 at 17:21
    Because 暇 is a na-adjective not a verb. The negative imperative can only come after a verb. – user3856370 Jun 3 '17 at 17:25

暇 acts as an adjective here, which explains the な which is basically the 連体形 of the 活用語尾 (conjugative suffix). 暇 can also be a noun, but here it is not.

Your sentence means "since/because I have free time, become my partner" (lit. because it is free time, do partner).

Finally, I will answer your question assuming you meant to say: "what is the difference between (noun)+な and (adjective)+な?" (and not (verb)+な)

The basic difference between these two なs is that the な following an adjective is the 活用語尾 (conjugative suffix), whereas the な following a noun is the auxiliary 「だ」. Both conjugated in the 連体 form.

There is a very small difference between -na adjectives' conjugative suffix and the auxiliary 「だ」, which is only morphologic (meaning there is no difference in meaning): when we use an adjective in the 連体 form, what follows will always be な, for example:

綺麗な花

暇な時

好きな人

簡単な宿題

On the other hand, a noun has no conjugation, it acts on its own, and the following な (if there is) is independant because it is an auxiliary verb, and not a conjugation attached to the noun.

「厄介な」ので = adjective (because he is troublesome)

「学生」「な」ので = noun (because he is a student)

Plus, we cannot always use 「な」 (だ) after a noun, but it is okay for an adjective to be followed by な in any case.

学生なころ X

学生のころ O

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.