I'm currently translating this video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMj_aFUjTwk

In the play, this actor is playing a boy, who has Chuunibyou.

At 0:15 he said

しっかり、え、中二病をこじらせて振り切って演じたいと思います。

According to Jishou,

振り切る = to shake off/ to swing completely

so I was wondering what does it mean here?

振り切った演技 is used to describe an actor has completely gotten into a character and played the role convincingly. 迫真の演技 is similar, but 振り切った演技 tends to be used for a difficult and eccentric character. Playing a 中二病 boy typically requires 振り切った演技 because, you know, it's a bit embarrassing and eccentric role.

This 振り切る can be understood either as "to shake off your ordinary way of thinking and become unbound by anxiety and embarrassment" or "to fully put your effort into the character". 振る can mean to put/direct/assign (energy, workload, role, number, etc) to something/someone. 切る adds the meaning of "completely". (gamer's example: パラメータをSTRに振り切る "to assign all parameters to strength")

| improve this answer | |
  • May I also ask about しっかり in this particular context? There seems to be a lot of meaning on Jishou Can "I definitely want to...." be used in this case? – Maru Jun 2 '17 at 17:00
  • The third definition on jisho (fully, hardly, well, etc) applies for this しっかり. – naruto Jun 2 '17 at 17:25

He is referring to feelings of embarrassment (or any other negative feelings) that may be caused in the future when going through acting (performing) the role. He saids that he will suck it up and get it done.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.