In A Dictionary to Basic Japanese Grammar, it says under the conditional ば that this is the origin of the topic particle は but I haven't been able to find where this claim comes from. Does anyone know how the conditional came to be the topic particle?

I've heard it described the other way around - that conditional ば is from topic は. Topic は has been in Japanese as long as anyone can tell, and has cognates in Ryuukyuuan languages - so there's no reason to claim any etymology whatsoever for it, it's just been there. – Sjiveru Jun 2 '17 at 22:41

It's not that one is the origin of the other. Adverbial particle は, conjunction ば and sentence ender わ (as in 出るわ出るわ) share the same origin.

The reason why adverbial particle は came to denote the topic is probably because one needed something to tell boundary when it had been originally unmarked.

• > ... one needed something to tell boundary when it had been originally unmarked. A nice explanation! – mackygoo Jun 2 '17 at 8:03
    I very much doubt that explanation. Languages mostly don't work that way - you don't just 'add a thing to make a boundary', it has to come from some other preexisting thing that was reinterpreted and repurposed. – Sjiveru Jun 2 '17 at 22:40
  • @Sjiveru I meant that a topic with emphatic は was reinterpreted as something with a topic marker. – user4092 Jun 3 '17 at 8:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.