This is a quotation from a fairy tale. A young man was turned into a samurai:

信じがたきことなれど、拙者サムライでござる。かたじけのうござる。

I read the first part as 'Although it is hard to believe, I am a samurai'.

What is the grammatical structure used in the second part? Is the word used 忝い (かたじけな) ?

Is this written in classical Japanese? (It is the き ending of がたい and the use of でござる that made me think that)

This is written in archaic or Classical Japanese style.

信じがたき = 信じがたい "hard to believe". In bungo, い adjectives used attributively (before the noun) ended in き, but ended in し when used predicatively (after the noun). Eg: 高き山 "a high mountain" vs 山は高し "the mountain is high" In MSJ, it would be 高い in both cases, of course.

なれど is the izenkei of the verb なる , "be", plus suffix ど, meaning "although", so this means "although it is"

So your translation is correct.

The second sentence exemplifies a rule that you are in fact familiar with in phrases like ありがとうございます、おはようございます and おめでとうございます : い adjectives have a special form that precedes ござる . This form is made by changing the endings -ai and -oi to long o and the endings -ii and -ui to long u. Thus: あぶない > あぶのうございます、 ひろい > ひろうございます、あたらしい > あたらしゅうございます、わるい > わるうございます and so on.

かたじけない is an い adjective meaning "grateful".

So the second sentence means "I am grateful [for that]"

Examples of this form, apart from a few set expressions such as those cited, are not commonly heard nowadays. A couple that I have come across are すくのうございます "There are not many", from a very aristocratic lady who spoke extremely elegant Japanese, and あぶのうございます "It is dangerous [so don't let your children play on the escalators]" in an announcement over the public address system in a supermarket.

• MSJ = Modern Standard Japanese? Also, is おめとうございます a typo of おめとうございます? – siikamiika Jun 1 '17 at 19:39
    Yes, MSJ = Modern Standard Japanese. And yes, おめとうございます was a typo, which I've now corrected. Thanks for your eagle-eyed attention to detail. Regards. – Graham Healey Jun 1 '17 at 20:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.