I was watching an anime ("The Royal Tutor"), and I noticed someone with an interesting name (presumably a pen-name) - 子子子子 子子子, which as far as I can tell is a reference to "Neko no ko koneko, shishi no ko kojishi". So I tried to work out what role this person had in the show, and it was given as 予告脚本. As best I can manage, this seems to mean "preview script", so did this person really get a screen credit for writing the script to the next episode's preview, or is there another translation I've missed?

Have a look at nekojishikoneko.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/03/25/210533, which is the above-mentioned konenko's blog. There is a sentence: 「Gファンタジー」連載中の大人気王室コメディ『王室教師ハイネ』の次回予告コーナーの脚本を担当させて頂きました! My attempted translation is: "GFantasy" serialised and very famous Royal Family comedy "The Royal Tutor" has a preview of the next installment segment(?) with me as script-writer. – Robert May 30 '17 at 4:40

予告 is a preview/trailer of the next episode of an anime or a drama, which is typically 15 seconds long. 脚本 is a script writer in this context. If the end credit really said something like 予告脚本 子子子子 子子子, then that's the person who wrote the script of the preview of that episode. As you have probably guessed, there is not usually a dedicated writer for a 15-second preview clip, but that's the only possible interpretation.

From what I could google, 子【ね】子【こ】子【じ】子【し】 子【こ】子【ね】子【こ】 is the pen name of a real novelist. This name must be a parody of the well-known wordplay 子【ね】子【こ】(の)子【こ】子【こ】子【ね】子【こ】.

EDIT: Here's a tweet that says she was actually in charge of 予告脚本.

4/2から放送開始のTVアニメ『王室教師ハイネ』にて、次回予告コーナーの脚本を担当させて頂きました。毎話15秒ほどと短い時間ですが、1クール放送分を担当しております

So in other words, I was right, but I was doubting my interpretation because of how unlikely it seemed. Thanks! – ConMan May 30 '17 at 5:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.