Just before the quoted passage, the narrator says a whistling going "Don!" happens at the same time as he stumbles and ends up stooped. Then:

もちろん、いくら昔の話でも発車のベルは「ドン!」などとは鳴らないし、発車のベルが人を突き飛ばすこともない。

My attempted translation:

Of course, though this happened a long time ago, it couldn't be possible that the bell would go “Don!” and send someone flying.

Here I assume こともない means "it's not possible/the case that..." Is this correct?

「鳴らさないし」→「鳴らないし」じゃないですか? – Chocolate May 30 '17 at 15:53
  • Right you are. I don't know how the 'sa' got in there. Updated it accordingly. Thanks! – Robert May 31 '17 at 3:15

「~こともない」 is made of 「~ことはない」(don't ever~~) + 「も」(either).
「~ことはない」 is the negation of 「~ことがある」(occasionally do~~).

Compare:
ベルが人を突き飛ばすことがある。-- The bell occasionally/sometimes pushes people away.
ベルが人を突き飛ばすことはない。-- The bell wouldn't ever push people away.
ベルが人を突き飛ばすこともない。-- The bell wouldn't ever push people away, either. / Nor would it ever push people away.

「ドン!」などとは鳴らないし、発車のベルが人を突き飛ばすこともない

「~~ないし、~~もない」 means "neither ~~ nor ~~".

"The bell would never go 'Don!', nor would it ever push people away."

• This answer goes directly to the question I asked, so I moved the tick here. When I first read the sentence, a similar translation occurred to me, but I rejected it because I couldn't figure out why the narrator would reject that a bell goes 'Don'. I guess that sound must have rung out in his boyish imagination but on reflection he must have realised it didn't happen. Anyway, thanks! – Robert May 31 '17 at 3:25

-「ドン!」
- 人を突き飛ばす "to shove people by the explosion of the round shot"

「ドン!」in the story of がばいばあちゃん, I think, is not a mere onomatopoeia of something, but the sound of a blank shot by a heavy gun or a cannon. In Meiji era they fired a blank shot to tell citizens the time of noon, which is written here. Sometimes ドン meant, I once heard, not only the sound of a cannon but a cannon itself in those day.

There is another ドン which is something to do with this ドン; that is used in 「位置{いち}に着{つ}いて、よーい(用意{ようい})、ドン」 which means On your mark!, Ready! / Get set!, Go!. The last ドン is of course the sound of firing a starting pistol.

@Robert: I edited the link of "Time Gun、Noon-day Gun". – mackygoo May 28 '17 at 7:31

こともない means "it's not possible/the case that.

こともない is a kind of emphasis of "have/do not either."

It is emphasizing or pointing out that a bell would never go "don" or shove someone.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.