This is a sentence from a tale I'm having trouble with. It is a Tengu speaking to a boy:

まったくおれは何の術もかけていないてえのに本気にしやがって。

I understand this sentence to mean something like 'To be honest I haven't actually granted you any skills.'

What does いないてえ stand for; what kind of verb form is this (if I am right to assume it is some negative form of the verb いる)?

Hint: There are two words hidden in 「てえ」. One is even a verb, believe it or not.
    – user4032
    May 26, 2017 at 16:12

3 Answers 3

This sentence is perfectly Edo dialect. いないてえのに accurately means いないっていうのに or いないというのに (いない-と-いう-のに) in normal Standard language.

I think you should focus on 「てえのに」 instead of 「いないてえ」.

I've never seen 「てえのに」 written like that, but I guess it is some sort of sound change and means 「というのに」. The most common one I've seen is 「つうのに」.

If 「術をかける」 is about granting skills, the sentence will become

• まったくおれは: Really, I
  • 何の術もかけていない: have not granted any skills
  • てえのに: and still
  • 本気にしやがって: you're taking it seriously

Just FYI:

The small「っ」should be added in the original sentence when writing it. (as tyam-san mentioned, but just to be clear.)

• まったくおれは何の術もかけていないてえのに本気にしやがって。

The same thing happens when using 「つうのに」which siikamiika-san mentioned.

• まったくおれは何の術もかけていないつうのに本気にしやがって。

Since the dialect is also mentioned, here's one of the ways how some people in Kansai area could say, just for fun.

• まったくおれは何の術もかけてへんいうてんのに本気にしよって。
    I believe the small っ in this position is optional. But it is true that we often see small っ there, especially between だ and てえ.
    – naruto
    May 27, 2017 at 1:42
  • Just to add my perspective, I have never heard of 「いないてえのに」in my entire life. I have only heard of them in the forms of「〜ないって」「〜だって」, etc., just to share my experience. ;) May 27, 2017 at 11:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .