This is a sentence from a tale I'm having trouble with. It is a Tengu speaking to a boy:

まったくおれは何の術もかけていないてえのに本気にしやがって。

I understand this sentence to mean something like 'To be honest I haven't actually granted you any skills.'

What does いないてえ stand for; what kind of verb form is this (if I am right to assume it is some negative form of the verb いる)?

Hint: There are two words hidden in 「てえ」. One is even a verb, believe it or not. – l'électeur May 26 '17 at 16:12

This sentence is perfectly Edo dialect. いないてえのに accurately means いないっていうのに or いないというのに (いない-と-いう-のに) in normal Standard language.

I think you should focus on 「てえのに」 instead of 「いないてえ」.

I've never seen 「てえのに」 written like that, but I guess it is some sort of sound change and means 「というのに」. The most common one I've seen is 「つうのに」.

If 「術をかける」 is about granting skills, the sentence will become

• まったくおれは: Really, I
  • 何の術もかけていない: have not granted any skills
  • てえのに: and still
  • 本気にしやがって: you're taking it seriously

Just FYI:

The small「っ」should be added in the original sentence when writing it. (as tyam-san mentioned, but just to be clear.)

• まったくおれは何の術もかけていないてえのに本気にしやがって。

The same thing happens when using 「つうのに」which siikamiika-san mentioned.

• まったくおれは何の術もかけていないつうのに本気にしやがって。

Since the dialect is also mentioned, here's one of the ways how some people in Kansai area could say, just for fun.

• まったくおれは何の術もかけてへんいうてんのに本気にしよって。
    I believe the small っ in this position is optional. But it is true that we often see small っ there, especially between だ and てえ. – naruto May 27 '17 at 1:42
  • Just to add my perspective, I have never heard of 「いないてえのに」in my entire life. I have only heard of them in the forms of「〜ないって」「〜だって」, etc., just to share my experience. ;) – shirotokuro May 27 '17 at 11:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.