Another がばいばあちゃん question. One sentence ends in もんじゃない which I understand as, 「〜すべきではない(忠告など)」. But it's strange the verb preceding it should be in past tense.

Here is the sentence in context.

困ったことに、小学校に入る頃になると、俺はチョロチョロと夜中に家を抜け出しては、かあちゃんの店にでかけて行くようになったのだ。

さっきも書いたように周りはスラム街である。

そんなところを、ちっこい俺がチョロチョロやって来るのだから、かあちゃんも心配でたまったもんじゃない

I assume the translation would be something along the lines of: "As I came to such a place and darted around, mama got terribly worried - a thing that was regrettably no good for her."

It would good if I could understand how past tense verbs can be used with もんじゃない.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I think I have answered my own question and have given an explanation below with the appropriate translation of the passage in question.

The expression たまったもんじゃない is similar to たまらない but stronger.

So the translation would be something like:

When I entered primary school, a new trouble developed. I used to sneak out of the house at night and scurry through the streets on my way to her shop. As I mentioned earlier, the area around my house was a slum. Knowing this was no place for a little boy, Mama got worried sick and couldn't take it any longer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.