I've been given the following sentences, and I'm supposed to fill in the blankets with particles.

1. Katō-san wa getsu-yōbi ( ) ka-yōbi ( ) Nihon ( ) kaerimasu.
  2. Atama ga itai desu ( ) netsu ( ) arimasu ( ) kaze da ( ) omoimasu.

Here are my attempts:

1. Katō-san wa getsu-yōbi mo ka-yōbi ga Nihon ni kaerimasu.
  2. Atama ga itai desu o netsu o arimasu ga kaze da o omoimasu.

What particles should I use?

Could you show us your own attempt first? And.. are you sure it's "kaze de ", not "kaze da "? – Chocolate May 23 '17 at 9:51
  • Apologies, it is "kaze da".. and what I've come up with is "Katō san wa getsu-yōbi mo ka-yōbi ga Nihon ni kaerimasu" but for the second one, I'm not sure.. – Dominique May 23 '17 at 10:07

Question 1: Katō san wa getsu-yōbi (1) ka-yōbi (2) Nihon (3) kaerimasu.
Your answer: Katō san wa getsu-yōbi (も) ka-yōbi (が) Nihon (に) kaerimasu.
My answer: Katō san wa getsu-yōbi (か) ka-yōbi (に) Nihon (へ) kaerimasu.

• に in (3) also makes sense, so your answer is correct.
  • You can't depart to Japan at the same time on Monday and also on Tuesday, so (1) couldn't be も.
  • As for (2), if you use が there, then the phrase becomes like "ka-yobi is going to return to Japan". It's not ka-yobi but Katō-san that is going to return to Japan.

Question 2: Atama ga itai desu (4) netsu (5) arimasu (6) kaze da (7) omoimasu.
Your answer: Atama ga itai desu (を) netsu (を) arimasu (か) kaze da (と) omoimasu.
My answer: Atama ga itai desu (*) netsu (*) arimasu (**) kaze da (と) omoimasu.

I suggest you first think of a logical English translation for your answer Atama ga itai desu (を) netsu (を) arimasu (が) kaze da (を) omoimasu by consulting the following hints:

• Atama ga itai desu ([4]{L}) = I have a headache [and]{LLL}

• netsu (5) arimasu ([ 6 ]{LLL}) = I have a fever, and [therefore]{LLLLLLLLL}

• kaze [da(7)]{LLLLL} omoimasu. = I guess/think [that]{LLLL} I have a cold.

• alright, I'll try my best! Question 2: Atama ga itai desu (を) netsu (を) arimasu (が) kaze da (を) omoimasu. Also, thank you very much! – Dominique May 23 '17 at 13:06
    @Dominique Are you aware that が is a subject particle? arimasu is an intransitive verb literally meaning "to exist", so what's its subject? And, to connect a quoted phrase/sentence and omoimasu you need a quotative particle. – Chocolate May 23 '17 at 14:52
  • @Chocolate Ah, I see.. So instead of が I'll use か? And for the quotation particle, will と be the correct choice? – Dominique May 23 '17 at 15:04
  • Wait, on second thought, "netsu mo arimasu" is better than "netsu ga arimasu" here, no? So... it'd be like, "I also have a fever, so...", right? – Chocolate May 23 '17 at 15:11
    @Chocolate Apologies if I'm quite a bother, but could you please explain why 'mo' would be a better choice for the context? – Dominique May 23 '17 at 15:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.