I've been given the following sentences, and I'm supposed to fill in the blankets with particles.

1. Katō-san wa getsu-yōbi ( ) ka-yōbi ( ) Nihon ( ) kaerimasu.
  2. Atama ga itai desu ( ) netsu ( ) arimasu ( ) kaze da ( ) omoimasu.

Here are my attempts:

1. Katō-san wa getsu-yōbi mo ka-yōbi ga Nihon ni kaerimasu.
  2. Atama ga itai desu o netsu o arimasu ga kaze da o omoimasu.

What particles should I use?

Could you show us your own attempt first? And.. are you sure it's "kaze de ", not "kaze da "?
    – chocolate
    May 23, 2017 at 9:51
  • Apologies, it is "kaze da".. and what I've come up with is "Katō san wa getsu-yōbi mo ka-yōbi ga Nihon ni kaerimasu" but for the second one, I'm not sure..
    – Dominique
    May 23, 2017 at 10:07

1 Answer 1

Question 1: Katō san wa getsu-yōbi (1) ka-yōbi (2) Nihon (3) kaerimasu.
Your answer: Katō san wa getsu-yōbi (も) ka-yōbi (が) Nihon (に) kaerimasu.
My answer: Katō san wa getsu-yōbi (か) ka-yōbi (に) Nihon (へ) kaerimasu.

• に in (3) also makes sense, so your answer is correct.
  • You can't depart to Japan at the same time on Monday and also on Tuesday, so (1) couldn't be も.
  • As for (2), if you use が there, then the phrase becomes like "ka-yobi is going to return to Japan". It's not ka-yobi but Katō-san that is going to return to Japan.

Question 2: Atama ga itai desu (4) netsu (5) arimasu (6) kaze da (7) omoimasu.
Your answer: Atama ga itai desu (を) netsu (を) arimasu (か) kaze da (と) omoimasu.
My answer: Atama ga itai desu (*) netsu (*) arimasu (**) kaze da (と) omoimasu.

I suggest you first think of a logical English translation for your answer Atama ga itai desu (を) netsu (を) arimasu (が) kaze da (を) omoimasu by consulting the following hints:

• Atama ga itai desu ([4]{L}) = I have a headache [and]{LLL}

• netsu (5) arimasu ([ 6 ]{LLL}) = I have a fever, and [therefore]{LLLLLLLLL}

• kaze [da(7)]{LLLLL} omoimasu. = I guess/think [that]{LLLL} I have a cold.

• alright, I'll try my best! Question 2: Atama ga itai desu (を) netsu (を) arimasu (が) kaze da (を) omoimasu. Also, thank you very much!
    – Dominique
    May 23, 2017 at 13:06
    @Dominique Are you aware that が is a subject particle? arimasu is an intransitive verb literally meaning "to exist", so what's its subject? And, to connect a quoted phrase/sentence and omoimasu you need a quotative particle.
    – chocolate
    May 23, 2017 at 14:52
  • @Chocolate Ah, I see.. So instead of が I'll use か? And for the quotation particle, will と be the correct choice?
    – Dominique
    May 23, 2017 at 15:04
  • Wait, on second thought, "netsu mo arimasu" is better than "netsu ga arimasu" here, no? So... it'd be like, "I also have a fever, so...", right?
    – chocolate
    May 23, 2017 at 15:11
    @Chocolate Apologies if I'm quite a bother, but could you please explain why 'mo' would be a better choice for the context?
    – Dominique
    May 23, 2017 at 15:15

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .