As the title says!

How would a grammatically correct sentence sound if you would want to say something like this?

"Did A tell you to do/say X?"

edited to be put off hold 

"AさんはXを言ってって言ったの?"

or

AさんはXをしてって言ったの?

Thanks in advance!

• I am afraid questions asking for translations are off-topic here unless prior research effort is clearly indicated. – Chocolate May 22 '17 at 6:33
  • Thank you for that, Chocolate! Since I am a new user I will keep that in mind for future posts. – Daniel May 22 '17 at 7:07
    Your translations sound so good and natural to me... (You'd say AさんはXって言ってって言ったの? instead of X but this would depend on what the X is. You'd use を if X was a noun/pronoun, eg それを, その話を, そのことを etc., and って if X was a quoted statement... but you may already be aware of this!) – Chocolate May 22 '17 at 7:38

"Did A tell you to do/say X?"

AさんはあなたにXをするように言いましたか?
AさんはあなたにXと/を言うように言いましたか?

Your answers:

1. "AさんはXを言ってって言ったの?"
  2. "AさんはXをしてって言ったの?"
  • Almost perfect!
  • Usually we omit you, but in this case, A told not me but you, so you are better not to omit you to avoid ambiguity in the translation like:
    「AさんはXをしてって あなたに/あんたに/お前に 言ったの?」
  • Double quotation marks which mark uttered phrases should be translated into 「」(鉤{かぎ}括弧{かっこ}). As for かぎかっこ, here is the way how to use it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.