I know that "I'm tired" translates to

疲{つか}れました

But how would you say, for example "PE class is exhausting" ? 疲れる is intransitive, so you can't say something like "PE class exhausts me", and there doesn't seem to be an adjective that has a meaning that is similar to "exhausting".

One way to say it would be to use the pattern 「Xでへとへとです/になる」, meaning "X exhausts me."

体{たい}育{いく}の授{じゅ}業{ぎょう}でへとへとです/になる。

• Thank you for your answer. In this sentence, what is the function of the で particle ? How does it work in this case ? – yummymochi May 21 '17 at 22:55
  • in this case で functions as "by means of X" – TFlo83 May 21 '17 at 23:18
  • There are some other verbs you can use with へとへと too, like 疲れる and する. – Blavius May 22 '17 at 2:37
  • @Blavius へとへとに疲れる is okay but we don't say へとへとする, do we? – Chocolate May 22 '17 at 6:08
    @TFlo83 「Xでへとへとです」って言うと、"X is tiring/exhausting" じゃなくて "I'm tired/exhausted from X now"「今、Xでへとへとの状態だ/疲れている状態だ」って意味だと思うんですけど・・・ – Chocolate May 22 '17 at 6:18

It turns out that, in a perhaps surprising display of semantic flexibility, 疲れる can be used in a sense comparable to "tiring" or "exhausting". (Though I stop well short of calling 疲れる used in this way an adjective.) So you can say:

体育の授業は疲れます。(PE class is exhausting.)

Two of bona fide adjectives you may also consider in this situation are しんどい and きつい.

• I see. Because it makes no sense for PE classs to be exhausted, you can use 疲れる in this type of situation. I didn't know Japanese was that flexible. – yummymochi May 22 '17 at 8:13
    これはいわゆる「コンニャク文」の一種ですね。 – broccoli forest May 23 '17 at 13:39
  • @broccoli forest !何やら初めて聞く興味深い用語!早速調べてみます! – goldbrick May 23 '17 at 15:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.