I meet various sentences with adjectives, which version is correct?

この猫{ねこ}は黒{くろ}です。 (...kuro desu)

この猫は黒いです。

この猫は黒い。

Thanks a lot!

which version is correct?
この猫は黒です.
この猫は黒いです.
この猫は黒い.

All three are grammatically correct.
The 黒 in the 1st sentence is a noun, and the 2nd and 3rd are using an i-adjective 黒い. The です in the 2nd sentence is a polite suffix.

I meet various sentences with adjectives,

We have two kinds of adjectives, i-adjectives and na-adjectives, which basically function as a predicate this way:

この猫はかわいい。-- plain form
この猫はかわいいです。-- polite form
(かわいい = i-adjective)
この花はきれいだ。-- plain form
この花はきれいです。-- polite form
(きれい = na-adjective)

Note that Japanese words for colors, such as 黒, 赤, 緑, 紫, 黄色 etc. are nouns and can be followed by the copula だ / です, like this:

この猫は黒です。-- polite form
この猫は黒だ。-- plain form

The 6 colors 黒, 白, 赤, 青, 茶色, 黄色 have i-adjective alternatives 黒い, 白い, 赤い, 青い, 茶色い, 黄色い, which can be used this way:

この猫は黒いです。-- polite form
この猫は黒い。-- plain form

incorrect: ×「緑い(です)」 ×「灰色い(です)」

As a side note: Only a few words can fit in both 「~~だ/です」 and 「~~い(です)」:

やわらかだ/やわらかい
あたたかだ/あたたかい
[真]{ま}っ[白]{しろ}だ/真っ白い
[真]{ま}っ[黒]{くろ}だ/真っ黒い
四角だ/四角い
丸だ*/丸い (*丸 is a noun, not a na-adjective, so you can't say 丸な~~.)

For example, you can say:

このパンはやわらかいです。このパンはやわらかい。(やわらかい = i-adjective)
このパンはやわらかです。このパンはやわらかだ。(やわらか = na-adjective)

For more on this topic, see: i-adjectives used as na-adjectives: is there a difference? (e.g. 大きい versus 大きな)

1. この猫は黒です。
  2. この猫は黒いです。
  3. この猫は黒い。

If you want to say "this is a black cat", sentence 2 and 3 are possible answers, and the sentence 2 sounds polite.

By the way, the sentence 1 also makes sense, but it has another interpretation that "the name of this cat is kuro".
If you want to avoid this kind of mis-interpretation, you could say like この猫は黒色です, but this expression sounds a little bit academic or high-flown, so I would not recommend you to use it in daily conversations.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.