I was reading a manga and encountered 聞かせる in the speech of one character. I'm still not good when it comes to translate sentences with passive and causative forms...It helps a bit when I can see the structure like in this basic example, which I hope it sounds alright:
私は子供にマンガを読ませます.
It can translate as "I make the children read manga" or "I let them read manga", doesn't it?
I know that causative has this nuance of "make" or "let", depending on context, while with
させられる the causative-passive form, it has more of the nuance of "to force" someone to do something.
I have the following sentence which I cannot understand at all because like I mentioned above, I'm used with structures, such as the example I provided.
(As a bit of context for this one, there are two men, one is talking while the other listens to his speech)

納得できない「理由」を聞かせるくらいなら理由などないと言ってくれ。

I am also a bit unsure just what is the meaning of 聞く here, but I'm going with "to ask".

Even just looking at this part 理由を聞かせる I cannot understand how can it be translated with the nuance of causative with either "make/let".

Please, I hope someone can help me out with this. Thank you in advance!

聞かせる is the causative of 聞く "hear", meaning "cause [someone] to hear [something]", that is "tell [someone something]". It's common enough to have established itself as a separate verb with its own dictionary entry. This is a bit speculative without a context, but it looks to me as though your sentence means, in a more-or-less literal version, "If it comes to about as much as [i e no more than] telling me 'reasons' I can't accept, do me the favour of saying there isn't a reason or anything". More idiomatically: "If you aren't going to do any more than give me 'reasons' that are unacceptable, for heaven's sake just say you haven't got any reasons".

• Thank you! It looks like at least I got the final part somewhat OK, because I had translated in a similar way and I had another version such as "Just do me the favor and say there is no reason" (because of the くれ of kureru, which always comes to mind as "doing a favor) And about 納得できない「理由」, I didn't know what to choose between "unacceptable" or saying "reasons that I cannot understand". Does it appear to hold the same nuance? Thank you so much for giving me a idiomatic translation, it does help me understand more and and I can try to come up with alternative wording. – Alice B. Rabbit May 20 '17 at 20:13
  • Glad you found it helpful. – Graham Healey May 20 '17 at 20:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.