As I pointed in the title. What is the correct answer to 国籍. Is it, for example, Japanese or Japan. I am confused because I found contradictory translations when I tried to look on the internet. Thank you.

• Sorry for a dumb question, but does this question mean, in English, you have to reply differently depending on whether the question was "What's your nationality?" or "What's your country of citizenship?" For now I'm not seeing a meaningful difference... – naruto May 17 '17 at 15:49
  • @naruto sorry for not being clear on this point. This is actually an application form where l have the choice to fill it wether in Japanese or in English. I am filling it in English so I get confused what is the correct answer country vs nationality. – Aymane Fihadi May 17 '17 at 16:45
    Um, for example, does one has to write French when asked their 'nationality' and France when asked their 'country of citizenship' on an application form written in English? Anyway something like 日本です is the usual answer for 国籍は何ですか, although adding 人 doesn't do harm. – naruto May 17 '17 at 17:05

国籍 means "country", so we say 日本国籍, not 日本人国籍. To have 日本国籍 means "to be Japanese".

国籍 means nationality and it implies that the one who has the 国籍 has a formal document for it. (籍 originally means "document" e.g. 戸籍)

I think a translation like "the country of citizenship" is used in a sentence like 国籍は日本です

According to 国籍法 Japanese Nationality Act, 国籍 refers to Japanese Nationality.

Here is 国籍法 Japanese Nationality Act. http://www.moj.go.jp/MINJI/kokusekiho.html

(この法律の目的) (Purpose of This Act)
   第一条 日本国民たる要件は、この法律の定めるところによる。
Article 1 The requirements of Japanese citizenship shall be governed by the provisions of this Act.

English translation of Japanese Nationality Act
http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail/?ft=1&re=01&dn=1&co=01&ky=%E5%9B%BD%E7%B1%8D%E6%B3%95&page=1

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.