The phrase in the title, 「隙を与える」, comes from 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん p. 167, ch. 13.

The full sentence is 「ばあちゃんは、泥棒に改心する隙を与えてるの。」 (I don't have a Japanese IME on this computer. As it's a public computer, I can't install one.) This is quoted text; the speaker is the ばあちゃん in question.

My reading of the sentence is: I will give the burglar an opportunity to change their mind (i.e. not rob the house).

Is this correct. Does the 隙を与える mean 'give an opportunity'. Please clarify.

• BTW you can use web-based IMEs like Google's or this. – Igor Skochinsky May 16 '17 at 8:32
  • Thanks for the suggestion! I couldn't figure out how to get the IME to scroll through kanji selections. However, I did find this site: inputking.com/ime/ime_new.php. That one allows you to input kana and kanji easily. – Robert May 16 '17 at 12:37

泥棒{どろぼう}に改心{かいしん}する隙{すき}を与{あた}えてるの。
I will give the burglar an opportunity to change their mind.

Edited:

Close!
The pronoun of the sentence is ばあちゃん, so it would be interpreted like:

Granny is giving the thief a chance or an opportunity to mend their ways.

Original:

Close!
Why do you think the 泥棒 is the plural form?

Granny is giving the thief a chance or an opportunity to repent his past.

I think, she can have enough power to change only one man's mind, but not a group of thieves.

I don't think Robert implied anywhere he's talking about multiple burglars. – Igor Skochinsky May 16 '17 at 8:22
  • I don't know the whole story of gabai-baachan, but only from this sentence it's natural to think the 泥棒 is single not multiple. – mackygoo May 16 '17 at 8:30
    I'm talking about you saying "Why do you think the 泥棒 is the plural form?" - nowhere in the question plural is used. – Igor Skochinsky May 16 '17 at 8:31
    Maybe mackygoo is concerned about the use of their before mind? This is called singular they, and this their does not mean the speaker thinks there are more than one person. – naruto May 16 '17 at 9:01
    BTW, does 改心する really mean repent his past? seems a bit of a stretch to me. – Igor Skochinsky May 16 '17 at 9:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.