I'm looking for lists of words/phrases of degree, ordered by how strong they are relative to each other.

For an example in English, I ran across this research recently: http://www.businessinsider.com/quantitative-perceptions-of-probability-words-2017-5

I was wondering if there are any similar lists for:

1. Degree... わずか < なかなか < とっても etc
  2. Amount... すこし < そこばく < たくさん etc
  3. Frequency... めったに < よく < しょっちゅう < いつも etc
  4. Severity/strength... やんわり < つよく < たいへん etc
  5. Surety... たしか < きっと < ひつぜん etc

By the way, I see a lot of questions about pairs of words on this list, i.e. "is this word more or less on the degree scale than this"... so if a good answer can be found that has a bunch of examples hierarchicalized, it might answer a lot of future questions all at once. 一石無限鳥 :-)

Degree... わずか < なかなか < とっても etc

暑{あつ}さ/寒{さむ}さ
As for the degree of temperature, we say like 少{すこ}し暑{あつ}い / 少{すこ}し寒{さむ}い for it's hot a little / it's cold a little.

Adverbs to describe the degeree of hotness/coldness are like:
わずかに < ほんの少し ≒ 気持{きも}ち < ちょっと ≒ 少し < 大分{だいぶ} ≒ なかなか < いい加減{かげん}(に) ≒ 相当{そうとう}(に) ≒ かなり < すごく ≒ とても/とっても ≒ うんと < 無茶{むちゃ}苦茶{くちゃ}(に) < 死{し}にそうに

Hierarchicalized adverbs written in the above list could be applied commonly to express the degree of amount, frequency, severity/strength and surety except for some adverbs. The typical exception is 死にそうに, that is used only in severity or in something like that.

Amount... すこし < そこばく?(← obsolete word) かなり < たくさん etc
Frequency... めったに < よく < しょっちゅう < いつも etc
Severity/strength... やんわり? < つよく? < たいへん etc
Surety... たしか? < きっと < ひつぜん? 確実{かくじつ}(に)絶対{ぜったい}(に) etc

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.