I often find a ladder-like practice tool as shown in the following figure in many dojos or sport halls in Japan.

肋木 wall bars

What is it called? As a bonus, what is it for?

  • Sorry, but I find your "bonus" question a little bit weird. These "things" can be found in virtually every school in my country and virtually every kid knows... what is it for. Is this some kind of joke that I don't get? :>
    – trejder
    May 14, 2017 at 17:24
  • @Kik Good... because I don't like jokes that I don't understand! :> But, seriously... well... then this is my mistake (sorry!). Where I live (Poland) this is one of the mostly remembered thing from school and certainly one of the most recognizable element of school's gymnastics.
    – trejder
    May 14, 2017 at 17:41

1 Answer 1


I believe these are 肋木 rokuboku "wall bars".

As to what they are for... to climb up and down. More info on Japanese or English Wikipedia.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .