Is term 神経{しんけい}の鈍{にぶ}い commonly used to describe a direct person?

「[無神経]{むしんけい}な人」のほうがよく使うかも。。「[鈍感]{どんかん}な人」ともいうかな・・・ – Chocolate May 14 '17 at 3:09
  • "a direct person" in your question seems very subltle to answer. If you show me some example like here as for the person, it will help me to answer your question whether the term 神経の鈍い is proper or not. answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100709183545AAjIqM7 – mackygoo May 14 '17 at 6:26
  • No, it is not used to describe a direct person at all. What gave you this idea? Was it mentioned in some dictionary? If so, which? – Igor Skochinsky May 14 '17 at 12:22
  • @IgorSkochinsky JMDict is the only online dictionary for people who do not speak Japanese. 神経の鈍い: tangorin.com/general/…. Direct is a synonym to "insensitive", at least in U.S. work environment. – user1602 May 14 '17 at 23:11
  • for other readers, on insensitive/direct equivalence: english.stackexchange.com/q/389310/216883 – Igor Skochinsky May 15 '17 at 16:27

Is term 神経の鈍い (insensitive) common?

For "insensitive (person)", I think 「[無神経]{むしんけい}な(人)」「[鈍感]{どんかん}な(人)」 are quite common. 「神経の(orが)鈍い(人)」 or just 「鈍い(人)」 would also be fine. (Some people may use 「デリカシーの(orが)ない(人)」 but this might sound a bit old-fashioned.)

Is term 神経の鈍い commonly used to describe a direct person?

I don't think so. For "direct (person)", I think 「[率直]{そっちょく}な(人)」 or 「はっきりした(人)」 would be more common.

Do you mean "honest person" by "direct person"? If so, no. 神経の鈍い means "dull" or "slow." and it has only negative nuances.

"insensitive" may be not the best translation here.

Taken literally, the expression means "(someone) with dull/blunt nerves", i.e. someone who does not get nervous/excited easily or is not affected by outside annoyances.

"thick-skinned" may be a better one. If you do pick "insensitive", it would be in the sense "unfeeling". I doubt "direct" works at all here.

if you do need a good term for "direct", I'd suggest you to make a new question, explaining what exact meaning of "direct" you need and what options you found.

I searched for the meaning of "direst person" here, where it is written directly as:

I am a very direct person. Tell it like it is, honest, straight to the point. I dont mean it in a harmful way and appreciate when others are the same with me...

Now I'm thinking about the possible answers as: 空気{くうき}の読{よ}めない人、無神経{むしんけい}な人、忖度{そんたく}しない人{ひと}...。

By the way, 忖度{そんたく} sontaku or 忖度{そんたく}する sontaku-suru was a buzz word in Japan several months ago.

I don't think a direct person would 忖度{そんたく}する sontaku-suru, and he would not like to 空気{くうき}を読{よ}む kuuki-wo-yomu.

According to the article here the meaning of 忖度 sontaku is very difficult to tanslate into English. In this article there are several minute and careful translations.

If you allow me to translate sontaku-suru into English, I would say to stand in the situation of the partner and snuggle up to the feeling of him/her. So, I said a direct person would not like to sontaku-suru.

• I'm afraid your last paragraph is quite hard to make sense of. Also, the question was not about 忖度 so the whole last half is kind of strange. – Igor Skochinsky May 14 '17 at 12:18
  • @IgorSkochinsky I'm thinking about the possible answers for a direct person are like: 空気{くうき}の読{よ}めない人{ひと}, 無神経{むしんけい}な人, or 忖度{そんたく}しない人. Among of the three terms, I thought only 忖度 is very difficult to translate, so I showed an article written about 忖度. Thank you! – mackygoo May 14 '17 at 12:31

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.