Why is there a に particle here? I dont see it fitting any of the roles I know for it (indirect object, indicating a source or agent, frequency, a specific point in time, purpose, direction of action, location of existence..)

There are two possible interpretations. One is a specific point in time, that is, "in (the moment of) the crisis".

The other is a marker to indicate the background for the object in your view. e.g. (1) 壁模様が見える: a pattern is seen against on the wall. (2) 夕日映える雲: clouds that manifest against the sunset.

に: the roles I know for it (indirect object, indicating a source or agent, frequency, a specific point in time, purpose, direction of action, location of existence..)

Oh, so many and complicated...

大ピンチに in a great pinch (maybe "source" or "indirect or third or fourth object"? My 2 cents is に is just a に or 助詞, suck it up)

勝機が見えた saw a chance of victory (direct object)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.