If I wanted to say that I've been working out as of late, I'd probably write something like (feel free to correct or suggest):

私はこのごろ手慣らしをしている。

Would it be any different if I wrote

私はこのごろ運動をしている?

I've been told the former sort of translates to 'practice/training' as opposed to 'exercise' though I'm not sure if it matters...?

Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated!

• Do you mean recently by "as of late" (that's not very common as a phrase in contemporary English)? – virmaior May 12 '17 at 3:51

You have to use 運動 for this purpose. 手慣らし is incorrect in this context.

手慣らし is made of 手 ("hand") and 慣らし ("accustomization; familiarization"). For example, 手慣らし is what a professional guitarist who has just bought a new guitar will do until he gets comfortable with the new guitar. It's a kind of "training", but it does not refer to acquiring a totally new skill.

私はこのごろ手慣らしをしている。

If you want to say like I've been working out as of late it does not make sense at all. It sounds like doing the calisthenics of the fingers or learning handicrafts.

手慣らし is usually used in the sense of "to get used to something."
e.g. (買ったばかりの新車を)手慣らしに運転してみる
Translating the word as "to practice or training" is a bit off.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.