I was watching this anime events clip -> https://youtu.be/5y15wDpcwuI?t=6m12s

and could not understand this particular part.

at 6:12 I think the seiyuu said

そうなろうと思えば、 この世界はどこまでも残酷になれるのだということ

I could not find this word in the online dictionary, so maybe I heard something wrong or is it possible that it simply mean "that".

At 6:23 I could not understand clearly what the other seiyuu said?

I believe it is

遠い昔に書かれたあるXXX

XXX節がある

You heard her right, except for missing the final を: "そうなろうと思えば、 この世界はどこまでも残酷になれるのだということ。" – goldbrick May 12 '17 at 12:28
  • @goldbrick Is it possible for you to tell me what does this help with this sentence? Can it be that it indicated that the story is not finish yet? – Maru May 12 '17 at 15:01
    I would, but I think it'd be better if you posted a new question for that. – goldbrick May 13 '17 at 8:14

そうなろう is composed of:

• そう: "so", "that"
  • なろう: the volitional form of なる ("to become")

そうなろうと思う literally means "(someone) thinks they want to become so".

And this そう refers to something said after it — 残酷になる.

そうなろうと思えば、この世界はどこまでも残酷になれる
If this world wishes (to be cruel), this world can be infinitely cruel.

Yes this is an example of personification.

it simply mean "that"

No. そうなろうと思えば means "if (it) imagines(/wishes) (it) could be."

遠い昔に書かれたあるXXX

It's very hard to hear the word, but it seems she is saying「絵本に」.

XXX節がある

こんな1節がある

そうなろう is そう + なる.

The verb なる means "to become" and it is in "volitional" form here. It's a little hard to translate literally, I think, but "そうなろうと思えば" here is like "If you think things might get like that..."

As for the second part, I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm right here, but it sounds to me like

"遠い昔に書かれた絵本こんな一節(/一説)がある"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.