A quote from 80日間世界一周:

巨大な湖が凍ったらかくやという景色だった。
It seemed like a vast frozen lake.

I'm guessing the 「かく」 is this one, but I don't understand how the 「や」 works. Could this be a set phrase?

It's short for かくやあらん, which is one of the fixed expressions from archaic Japanese.

• 斯く: "like this"
  • や: archaic question marker (eighth definition here; grammatical rule here and here)
  • あらん (あらむ in historical kana usage): あり ("to be") + ("to seem; should"). → "should be; to seem to be"

So in modern Japanese, it's このようであろうか or こんな感じだろうか.

かくや is used to give an unrealistic/extreme analogy (~もかくや, ~ればかくや, ~ならかくや). Your sentence is a typical example of かくや(あらん).

• Thanks, I'm not sure if this should be tagged [archaic-language] or [classical-japanese] or even both because that tofugu article is about classical Japanese and if it should be [particle-や] at all (coined the tag...) so feel free to edit them – siikamiika May 11 '17 at 5:04
  • @siikamiika I use this word in a set phrase かくやありなん meaning きっとこんなんだよね sometimes, but not so often; more often than きんだい/近大/. 巨大な湖が凍ったらきっとこんなんだよねという景色だった。 – mackygoo May 12 '17 at 6:49
  • @mackygoo So the 「なん」 is this one (emphasis indicator) in the phrase you use? Also I don't really understand the conjugation rules here but is 「あり」 in your example just 連体形 and in かくやあらん something else? – siikamiika May 12 '17 at 8:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.