is "koesou" some conjugation form of the verb koeru? If so, which one? I can't find it in this conjugation table for japanese verbs conjugation of japanese verb koeru

Where did you see this form? こす is the transitive "partner" of こえる. – istrasci May 10 '17 at 22:35
  • A Rurouni Kenshin anime ending song, "Heart of Sword" – Pablo May 10 '17 at 22:36
  • transitivity in Japanese/English is the same thing than in spanish? does It means that the verb doesnt need a direct object to make a sentence with sense? – Pablo May 10 '17 at 22:38
    Why don't you look up the auxiliary 「そう(だ)」 in a dictionary jgram.org/pages/viewOne.php?tagE=sou (Verb masu stem) + sou 降りそう furisou = seems it will rain – Chocolate May 10 '17 at 22:45

Searching for the lyrics to this song online, it appears to be こえ+そう. This 〜そう suffix means "seemingly" or "appears to be". So it would mean "seems that I can cross over".

This 〜そう suffix attaches to the "stem" of a verb; that is, the part before the ます (there are technical names for these parts, but I won't get into that here). So the 〜そう itself is not any conjugation of こえる, just the こえ〜 part.

(こえる・こえます) → こえ〜 + 〜そう → こえそう

Some other examples of this 〜そう

• 雨が降りそう → Seems like it's going to rain
  • 本がテーブルから落ちそう → The book looks like it's gonna fall from/off the table
  • 食事がおいしそう → The food looks delicious (*you can attach this 〜そう to adjectives as well)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.