What Japanese expression is equivalent to "to look in the mirror"? Is it as simple as 鏡を見る or 鏡に見る?

鏡を見る seems fine to me. – stack reader May 9 '17 at 1:19
  • @mackygoo Does 鏡を見る also mean looking in the metaphorical mirror in Japanese? I'm not sure if this question meant it or actually looking in a real mirror – siikamiika May 9 '17 at 2:47
    @siikamiika I visited the site and read Where does “Look yourself in the mirror” come from?. Yes, 鏡を見る has some nuance of metaphorical meaning, but usually the phrase is used to express the simple action. To tell you the truth, I recalled the phrase 他人{ひと}の振り見てわが振り直せ/他人{ひと}の振り見てわが身をただす/, when I read the mirror's phrase. – mackygoo May 9 '17 at 4:02
  • @mackygoo Thanks, I didn't know that. These comments already contain more than "yes, that's correct" so I think they are worth an answer – siikamiika May 9 '17 at 4:04
    鏡を見る is fine as is commented by stack reader. 鏡に見る is used as 鏡に映{うつ}る自分{じぶん}の姿{すがた}を見る I see my reflection in the mirror. – mackygoo May 9 '17 at 15:31

For "look in the mirror" in the metaphorical sense "reflect on one's own conduct" (with the implication that one will recognise one's wrongdoing and resolve to behave better) how about 反省する (はんせいする) ?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.