Is 分 a counter after 円 following a number, e.g. 500円分? enter image description here

If I'm understanding naruto's link correctly, the 「500円」 here means "worth of 500 yen". From the linked answer:

1日の食料: a day's worth of food

To put it in context:

会員専用サービス「ピッとGo」をご利用で電子優待券プレゼント!
By using our members-only "beep-and-go" service, you get an electronic complimentary ticket as a present!
免許証情報登録で
By registering your driving license information
ご利用ごとに、何度でも
Every time you use it, any number of times
500円(の優待券)
(a ticket) worth of 500 yen

• A little bit tricky with Yen though, in case of food it goes before 分, but in case of 円 it goes after. – user1602 May 8 '17 at 0:04
  • @user1602 I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you mean that 500円分 comes after 優待券? – siikamiika May 8 '17 at 0:08
  • 分 is a suffix to500円, and a prefix (or attribute) to 食料, this is why I could not apply the "worth" logic to Yen. – user1602 May 8 '17 at 0:11
    @user1602 How I understand it is that the 分 works the same way in both of them. A bad literal translation: "Food worth of 1 day" (1日分の食料) ↔ A complimentary ticket worth of 500 yen (500円分の優待券) – siikamiika May 8 '17 at 0:22
  • Now I see it, thank you. I understand part, but "worth of something" was not obvious to me :) – user1602 May 8 '17 at 0:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.