Both seem to mean story so I am wondering what the difference between them is.

はなし usually just means something closer to "discussion," whereas ものがたり is always a story about something specifically. – Kurausukun May 7 '17 at 1:39
  • @Kurausukun You should make that an answer – Blavius May 7 '17 at 2:04
    How about comparing 「 [話]{はなし}」 and 「[物語]{ものがたり}」 instead? Both mean "tale" – Chocolate May 7 '17 at 3:23

はなし(話) is the most basic word for any spoken content, that can be translated as talk, story, rumor, argument, report, discourse etc. as far as I can think of off the top of my head.

ものがたり(物語) is an old word that means "story-telling", and due to long-standing tradition 「X ものがたり」 becomes a fixed expression to say "tale of X", such as カンタベリー物語 Canterbury Tales or 二都【にと】物語 A Tale of Two Cities.

はなし has few special meanings, but we specifically refer to an episode of rakugo by this word (in this case, it's usually written in kanji 噺).

has little special meanings って「複数の小さい特別な意味」? 「ほとんど特別な意味はない」じゃないですよね・・それやったら「few」やし – Chocolate May 7 '17 at 3:27
  • @Chocolate ありがとうございます。お恥ずかしい限りです m(_ _)m – broccoli forest May 7 '17 at 3:37

Generally, the comment of @Kurausukun to your question is correct.

Literally, 話{はなし} hanashi is a story, and 物語{ものがたり} monogatari is the noun form of 物を語る which means "to tell something" or "to tell a story".

To me, monogatari sounds having more meaningful or longer contents of a story than that of hanashi, which is suitable to be called for the contents of a novel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.