I cannot differentiate the meaning of 特有 and 固有. The following 2 sentences seem to be (roughly) identical in their meaning.

A: 合気道は日本特有の武道である。

B: 合気道は日本固有の武道である。

Both means:

Aikido is a martial art that is peculiar to Japan.

Question

What are the main differences between 特有 and 固有? Please give me some examples.

I'd translate like:

A: 合気道は日本特有の武道である。
Aikido is a martial art that is characteristic to Japan.

B: 合気道は日本固有の武道である。
Aikido is a martial art that is indigenous to Japan.

特有 means something X that belongs to Y has unique feature not commonly seen in similar things that belong to others than Y; thus we can translate it as special or distinctive. 固有, on the other hand, tells X belongs to Y by nature and never to others; thus the translation will be proper or inherent.

I think the answer of broccoli forest is perfectly correct.

I'll tell you the difference between the two words based on the 漢字{かんじ}kanjis used in 固有{こゆう}koyuu and 特有{とくゆう}tokuyuu.

固有 = 固 + 有, and 特有 = 特 + 有

• 有 means 存在{そんざい}する or 保有{ほゆう}する which means "to exist" or "to have/possess".
  • 固 has many meanings, but in this case it means 元{もと}より motoyori which means "from the beginning/start".
  • 特 means そのものだけ特別{とうべつ}/特殊{とくしゅ} which means "to be special only for it/the thing".

As a whole, 固有 means 元{もと}より存在{そんざい}する or 元{もと}より保有{ほゆう}する or "existing/having from the beginning", which means "inherent", on the other hand, 特有{とくゆう} means そのものだけに特別{とくべつ}に存在{そんざい}する or "existing/having only for it", which means "characteristic".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.