What does the character "Historia" say in the dialogue in minute 1:41 of this video? I can only understand the first part but not the last words. She starts saying

Ymir... watashi no namae ... Historia ...

Does she say her last name or something? I would have expected she says

Historia desu

She says

私の名前ヒストリアって言うの
My name is Historia

• って is used as a colloquial of と
  • の is part of feminine speech (declarative) and softens と言う
  • と言う can also be used in polite language

私の名前はヒストリアです = 私はヒストリアと言います

but the situation isn't quite right for formal introductions (you shouldn't have expected です here)

• so the literal translation would be something like "My name Historia it is called" ? That's a polite form of introducing yourself? or I'm getting it wrong? – Pablo May 6 '17 at 19:25
    私の名前ヒストリアっていうの is a natural way of saying "My name is Historia". Literally I would go for something like "My name is called Historia". It's not polite. The two ways 私はヒストリアっていうの and 私の名前はヒストリア(なの) are like "I'm called Historia" and "My name is Historia". I was just saying that と言います is common also in polite speech (because you were talking about です). – Earthliŋ May 6 '17 at 19:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.