What's the Japanese equivalent of saying "It breaks my heart"?


Naturally it depends on context.

For specifically romantic heartbreak, there is 失恋{しつれん}(する):

I can't recover from my heartbreak.

For more general heartbreak (such as the arrest or death of a friend or family member), there is the expression 悲嘆{ひたん}に暮れる{くれる}:

He was heartbroken after his father's death.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.