The particle も is usually explained as similar to also. However, examples also always leans towards too, and always in the context of the sentence's subject (and always referring to the same subject).

Me too

I like cats too

However, I've always wondered if it was valid to use it almost like an interjection, to change the topic:

A: 今日の授業を欠席しました I didn't attend today's class

A: 月曜日の宿題忘れました I've also forgotten last monday's homework

So when the subject is different, can you still use this particle?

• Funny cuz in my native language (portuguese), both "also" and "too" are the same word. I think you cannot use も the way you intend, this "also" you're using is like "in addition..." right? I think も needs either tha same subject or the "action" in the sentence must be in the same context – Felipe Oliveira May 4 '17 at 14:42
    Eg: John - 日本語は難しいね(japanese is hard, right?). Tomya - そうだね、でも、英語も難しいよ(that's right, but english is hard too). Diffferent subjects but you can still use も! One question, "english is also hard" is this ungrammatical in english? – Felipe Oliveira May 4 '17 at 14:45

Yes, you can use も that way.

今日は学校に遅刻しました。宿題忘れました。

あの選手は守備がいい。その上、足速い。

ブサイクな女は、性格悪い。

あさっての夕方ごろからくずれるそうです。気温下がるそうです。海や山あれるそうです。 (quoted from here)

That's interesting. I've sort of thought the same thing, and have used it in that way, but am not positive that it's correct. I think if you show that the other thing you're attaching も to is the verb then it would be alright. As in, I did this and also did this. "I didn't attend class. And also (an other thing I did was) forgot the homework".

So in Japanese maybe something like

今日の授業を欠席しました。
月曜日の宿題を忘れたこともしました。

You just have to nominalize the verb then use も as normal. I think you noticed that what sounds odd about 宿題も忘れた is that it sounds like you're saying you forgot your homework and also forgot something else.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.