The sentence is 例えば外食時、定食屋さんでとても美味しいご飯をたべたとする。

I've looked at some other answered questions which explain how とする, when appended to a verb expresses quitting an old action and starting a new one. However I can't understand it in this case, because it seems odd that it would be used in the past tense.

Does it take on a different meaning if the verb is in the past tense?

i'm not entirely sure, but to me it sounds like they're saying "suppose you ate a delicious meal..." where とする feels likes they're suggestion a possible scenario. – A.Ellett May 3 '17 at 2:38

clause + とする can mean "assume ~", "suppose ~", "regard ~", "let ~", etc. So the sentence means "Suppose you eat ..."

Examples and explanations are found on the following sites:

The ta-form is used in combination of many hypothetical or conditional expressions. I think this ta-form is for denoting the perfect aspect, not the past tense. 定食屋さんでご飯をたべるとする refers to what you would think/plan/do before eating a meal (e.g., choosing a good restaurant). 定食屋さんでご飯をたべたとする refers to what you would think/do at a mealtime or after the meal (e.g., paying with a credit card).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.