I came across this interview, where the speaker mentioned both ご縁 and 縁 and this is from this particular clip -> https://clyp.it/v1uobgr2

I managed to transcribe it (I believe?), but I'm not sure how would I go about translating the first part, especially to distinguish between ご縁 and 縁.

What I heard was

それから、Staffさんとの沢山のご縁があって
作品の中でも沢山のがあって
素晴らしい方々と色んなでこうして出来たのが
舞台Haikyuu!!だと思ってます。

I know that 縁 has such a deep meaning in Japanese, so I was wondering if there is any way to make it easier to understand?

PS. Yes this is an interview related to the manga called Haikyuu!!

Edit: The audio link has been fixed.

Also I struggled to transcribe this particular bit from the same interview.

-> https://clyp.it/ibxy43to

I could only hear

本当にxxxx良かったです。ありがとうございます。

so I was wondering, if anyone can help me shed some light on this.

Thank you!

• What reading are they using for 縁 here? – istrasci May 1 '17 at 21:20
    @Maru The audio clip is cut off at 縁があって so I cannot hear the latter half of the sentence. – Chocolate May 2 '17 at 2:11
  • @Chocolate My apologies I have uploaded the wrong audio cut. I have fixed the link now. – Maru May 2 '17 at 9:33
    In the 2nd audio clip he says 「本当に出会えて良かったです。ありがとうございます。」 – Chocolate May 2 '17 at 15:00
    @istrasci 三回とも「えん」って言ってます (そういえば「[縁]{ゆかり}」と「[縁]{えん}」ってちょっと意味が違いますね) – Chocolate May 2 '17 at 15:06

Some spiritually-inclined person might think of 「人とご縁があって」 as "the universe brought us together", a religious person might say "God brought us together", etc.

However, I think that ご縁 is quite similar to the sentiment in "it was meant to be".

In the context you give, this is difficult to make sound natural, so I would tend to something like

スタッフさんとの沢山のご縁があって、作品の中でも沢山の縁があって、素晴らしい方々と色んな縁でこうして出来たのが舞台Haikyuu!!だと思ってます。

I feel very lucky to meet the staff, the production likewise went very smoothly / just flowed naturally, and the encounters with all these wonderful people is how Haikyū!! came to be.

I think the difference between 縁 and ご縁 is just the usual difference between 〇 and ご〇・お〇 (the one with ご・お is more polite).

The way 縁 is used in your clip seems to be rather vague and strikes me as phatic. If I heard someone use 縁 like this, I'd either think they are the sort of person who very earnestly believes in 縁 or are trying hard to find a simple, agreeable word that will please everyone.

I interpret these uses of 縁 in the following ways:

Staffさんとの沢山のご縁があって
had many nice-meetings with the staff = "was happy working with them"

作品の中でも沢山の縁があって
had many nice-meetings in the work = "knew many people / learned a lot from such a great work"

素晴らしい方々と色んな縁で
with all sorts of nice-meetings and wonderful people = "by a fortunate collaboration of wonderful people"

Basically 縁 is a concept widespread among East Asians, typified by the legend of red string, that every association between people is divine match-making, and you should treasure and be grateful for having good relationship with someone. Based on this, people often use 縁 casually when they feel "happy, lucky to be or doing something together", to indirectly praise people around them.

縁 is one of the difficult concepts to translate into English because I cannot find a comparable concept in English. I explain 縁 to my American friends as life circumstances which has brought people together.

In this sentence, I do not know who is talking, so I cannot specify some parts, but I might translate:

And, I think that we are able to produce this stage play, Haikyuu!! because of the wonderful connections with wonderful staff and co-workers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.