Referring to the Tanabata lovers who only meet once a year:

A) 「せめて毎月一回会えればいいのに」
A) "I wish they could meet at least once a month."
B) 「一年一回っていうのがいいんだ。そんなに何回もベタベタ会うもんじゃねェや」
B) "Once a year is fine. In that way they'll meet stickily many times. Right?"

What on earth does ベタベタ mean in this context? I thought it meant sticky. But I can't imagine what a sticky meeting is.

ベタベタ is an onomatopoeia (擬態語) commonly used for describing a couple or lovers being close and intimate, as well as for something being sticky. Maybe it's a bit close to イチャイチャ.

一年一回っていうのがいいんだ。そんなに何回もベタベタ会うもんじゃねェや
(≂ そんなに何回もベタベタ会うものではない)

I think it'd be something like "It's good because it's just once a year. (≂ What's good about it is that they meet only once a year.) They shouldn't be meeting that often (≂ so many times a year), so intimately."

| improve this answer | |

It feels to me that ベタベタ here is not describing a manner in which single instances of Orihime and Hikoboshi's meeting may be engaged in. Rather, by ベタベタ Person B is referring to the frequency with which, Person A wishes, they could see each other. Person B thinks meeting once a month would be to "ベタベタ会う", regardless of how "clinglingly" the star-crossed lovers might spend their time together. (Person A mentions only how often they should meet, not in what way, don' they? Then it would be somewhat incongruous with the anaphoric そんな if we interpret ベタベタ as a "manner adverb", unless Person B is somehow presupposing that the meeting would be ベタベタ in the "manner" sense of the word, which I think is unlikely.)

そんなに何回もベタベタ合うもんじゃねェや

The essence of the above sentence is

何回もベタベタ会{あ}う

何回もベタベタ会う
=何回も会う+ベタベタ会う
=何回も会う+ベタベタした感{かん}じで会う

In this context "あっさり" is the antonym of "ベタベタ" in Japanese.
We say "彼{かれ}と彼女{かのじょ}の関係{かんけい}はあっさりしている。" to describe their indifferent relation.
Do you get the nuance of "ベタベタした感じ"?

• I think the problem is understanding how meeting (合う) can be ベタベタ. It comes naturally to native Japanese people, but I also think it sounds a bit strange. How do you understand the relation of 何回も and ベタベタ? Are they both adverbs modifying 合う or is そんなに何回も separate from ベタベタ合う? – siikamiika May 1 '17 at 13:21
  • @siikamiika You've described my problem exactly. – user3856370 May 1 '17 at 13:48
  • @mackygoo So might 'passionately' be a suitable translation of ベタベタ? If they meet once a year their meeting will be passionate, but if they meet every month then it will be less intense? Is that the kind of meaning? – user3856370 May 1 '17 at 13:52
  • @mackygoo I'm not sure if そんなに is talking about person A or person B's previous comment. If it refers to person A then I might think he means that meeting once a month is too much, and meeting too often makes the relationship 'sticky' in a bad way. I'm very confused. – user3856370 May 1 '17 at 13:56
  • @ user3856370 >'passionately' Yes, it is suitable. But the latter understanding is incorrect. They are too passionate to be in normal passion, which could not make them apart for a year. – mackygoo May 1 '17 at 14:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.