In this doujin that I'm reading, a character - Hinata - comes to his new friend's volleyball practice. When an excited Hinata asks if he could join in their practice, the club members crowd around him, curious as to why he's there (left panel). Among their various questions, one member asks 来{らい}年{ねん}受{じゅ}験{けん} which I believe translates roughly to "Taking the exam next year?" Considering that this is a middle school volleyball club and they mistake Hinata for an elementary school child, I assume it means that he's asking if Hinata plans to come to their middle school next year. But why is he talking about an exam?

enter image description here

Isn't the school private? – broccoli forest Apr 30 '17 at 1:00
    Um, let's make sure first if the school is a high school (grade 10-12) or a middle school (grade 7-9). If high school, everyone must take an entrance exam to get in one. If middle school, publicly run ones are exam-free because of compulsory education, but private ones need. – broccoli forest Apr 30 '17 at 2:04
    Hmm... I'm not completely sure how education system goes on in Miyagi (the location of the story), but it has a possibility that this school is a prefectural school, which is of higher tier than ordinary (municipal) middle schools thus needs some exam to screen applicants. (What I'm not totally comfortable with is that the name 第一 is typically municipal one.) – broccoli forest Apr 30 '17 at 2:40
    I think the point is they're just saying he looks young / small, so are assuming he isn't even in the school yet, and from that assumption, ask if he's going to try to enter that school next year. In the next bubble someone asks if he's in elementary school. – rgolden Apr 30 '17 at 4:04
    @tamayura Nothing really. Large cities that hold many schools often name each one "town-name nth" in order, so those are named like such are typically municipal schools. Of course there's no hard rule how to name a school, and the plot eventually prevails. – broccoli forest May 1 '17 at 10:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.