I'm reading some practice articles written in Japanese; not sure if they're based on real articles, but no matter.

The title in question is 村上ファン集うカフェで発表待つイベント, and I'm not 100% sure what the 発表待つ part is saying, thus I thought I'd ask.

It looks grammatically incorrect to mean, and I'm not sure what the title is saying as a result of this.

I found a cached version of the article.

In the text, there is

発表の瞬間を待つイベントが開かれました。

From this, you can guess that the particle を is omitted from the title. I think linguists call the practice of omitting words like this ellipsis.

Here is another question about omitting を: The meaning of を in あなたは何をしていますか?

In fact, a whole lot of other particles are also omitted from the title. I'll mark the particles with bold.

村上ファン集うカフェで発表待つイベント

Literal translation:

[At]{で} the café [where]{が} Murakami['s]{の} fans gather, the event of waiting [for]{を} the release

• I'll never get used to particle omitting... – Tirous Apr 29 '17 at 19:55
    @Tirous It will get easier once you read enough. But I had problems with that title as well :D – siikamiika Apr 29 '17 at 19:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.