I am familiar with the use of より in making comparisons. However, the use of より in this following context certainly does not mean "than" and so I would gladly appreciate if someone can help me provide a clarification of why より is used in this case.

同僚や上司との関係を築くことは日本語の力より必要です。

Basically, this sentence is trying to say that having the ability to speak Japanese is essential in building relationship with co-workers.

• having the ability to speak Japanese is essential in building relationship with co-workers would be more like 「同僚や上司との関係を築くには日本語の力が必要です。」 – Chocolate Apr 29 '17 at 13:47

This より is for making a comparison between 同僚や上司との関係を築くこと and 日本語の力.

同僚や上司との関係を築くことは日本語の力より必要です。
Building relationships with your colleagues and superiors is more necessary than your Japanese skill.

• What is the difference between using は、より and 方が、より? Just politeness? – Felipe Oliveira Apr 27 '17 at 14:38
  • @FelipeOliveira It doesn't affect English translation, but conceptually Xは/が~より~ is a sentence explaining X's quality, while ~の方が~より~ describes the comparison itself. – broccoli forest Apr 28 '17 at 3:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.